Scotty’s big day is on Christmas (1 week, yikes!). We’ve struggled over the years with deciding how to make it special for him. My brother’s birthday is earlier in December and he’s always complained about it. We do several things to try and emphasize how special the day is as his birthday AND as the day we celebrate the Savior’s birth. Most of these items probably work better now then they will as he gets older but we’ll see!
1) I’m constantly telling him that he’s the BEST Christmas present anyone has ever given me.
2) He gets a small tree in his room that he decorates. It’s his birthday tree and his birthday presents go under it.
3) We are careful not to use Christmas wrapping paper for his birthday presents
4) We started last summer having a half-birthday party for him!
5) He gets a birthday present from Santa.
7) We have Christmas morning and birthday evening to try and separate the two a little
8) He’s decided this year that he is going to leave birthday cake for Santa! I love this idea and I’m sure it will be a long standing tradition!
Whenever anyone finds out that his birthday is on Christmas they say, “poor guy, he’s going to hate that.” And I always cover his ears. For now he thinks that both events are amazing and won’t know any different until he learns it from somewhere. No matter what happens as he gets older he is truly an amazing little boy and I can’t wait to share many more birthday’s with him.